09 August 2012

on the olympics

Olympic rings in St Pancras train station in London, seen during our visit last summer.
We've been watching a lot of the Olympics lately.  It brings back memories of the 1996 games in Atlanta, which I attended with my parents and brother.  I remember we drove down to my aunt and uncle's house in South Carolina beforehand, and then woke up really early the day we had tickets so we could drive the two and a half hours over to Atlanta.  We were spectators for some track and field events.  It was hot and an exhausting day overall, but certainly a once in a lifetime experience.  It's hard to believe that was 16 years ago.  This summer, my husband and I are part of the crowd of prime-time viewers because frankly, we don't care enough about it to look online for the results as they're posted in real-time.  And it has been quite entertaining -- I fully understand why NBC is running it during these hours.  While the talent of all the athletes is impressive, I have to admit that the most entertaining parts for me have been the bloopers.  During the gymnastics events, especially the vault and beam portions, I wondered if I wasn't watching that show "Wipeout" instead.  Or the flops in the men's diving, which sent the splashometer off the charts.  Even the fashion has given me a laugh.  Czech Republic's rain boots at the opening ceremony, the sand volleyball girls who wore their sports bras on top of their t-shirts, the contrast of the swimmers' garb: the men's skimpy speedoes and the women's long-legged swimsuits.  But in all seriousness, having not been much of an athlete ever in my life, I'm awed at the strength and discipline of all these Olympians and I'm proud of our country's success.

No comments: