28 July 2012

pre-vacation to do list

My plants, all both of them.

Although I've already started posting about our trip to Italy, I want to also share my pre-vacation to do list.  Before leaving on a trip, I usually do some or all of the things on this list (depending on the length of time I'll be gone):
  • charge camera batteries
  • empty camera memory cards
  • clean as much of the house as possible (coming home to a mess is no fun)
  • wash dishes (coming home to grimy plates is no fun)
  • pay bills that will come due while I'm gone
  • call credit cards to alert them to any international travel
  • unplug small appliances, including toaster/coffeemaker/alarm clock
  • turn off a/c or heat, if possible
  • arrange for plant-watering (I took mine to my mother-in-law's house and they've done so well there, I haven't brought them home yet)
  • get mail held at the post office (only for long trips)
  • refill prescriptions you'll need while away
  • return any library books or rented dvds
  • eat or throw out any food that will go bad 
  • empty the trash
  • check that windows & doors are locked
  • turn off all lights
This list is pretty short thanks to apartment living.  We don't have a yard, pets, newspaper delivery, etc. to worry about.  Am I missing anything?  

No comments: