The
Newberry Library Book Fair is always a highlight of my summers.
This year it was especially of importance to me since I was out of town for it last year. I am a bookhunter who's
obsessed enough to arrive fifteen minutes before the doors open (and at
that time, I still had to wait in a line that wrapped halfway around the
building). Had I been even more serious about getting first dibs, I could have donated $100 to
the library just to attend the preview last night. Preview or not, I
still snagged some amazing finds. I spent over two hours there and
walked out with 24 books, each one ranging in price from fifty cents to
$2.50. Quite a deal. Here are some of my new acquisitions:
 |
| The Little Prince, in Portuguese. It was in the French section, and for fifty cents, I thought it was charming. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
 |
| The Tale of Peter Rabbit in Italian. At least this one I can understand. |
 |
| The Giving Tree in Hebrew. It even reads right to left. Like the Portuguese Little Prince, I don't understand a word of it. And like the Portuguese Little Prince, it seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. |
 |
| A French children's book from 1948. |
 |
| It has beautiful color illustrations. |
 |
| French comic books (bandes dessinées). Two of the most popular series: Astérix and TinTin. |
 |
| Danish children's books! More for the category of books I appreciate but can't read. |
 |
| "Hh" is for "viking" ... or "toothpaste"? |
 |
| What I've gleaned from the cognates in its title (Illustreret Danmarks Historie): an illustrated history of Denmark. |
 |
| French textbooks for me. |
 |
| A book about Louis XIV by Max Gallo of the Académie Française. |
 |
| I paid a steep price of $1. |
 |
| It was a privately printed book ("livre hors commerce"). And it's a limited edition ("tirage limité"). |
 |
| I've stopped myself from buying Harry Potter in French so many times before. But for $1, I couldn't pass it up. |
 |
| 1919 edition. |
 |
| I've been wanting to read this one for awhile. It's a coming-of-age novel, published in 1954 but supposedly still relevant. |
 |
| I couldn't resist the illustrations in this 1961 children's book. It is written in French by an American author. |
 |
| It has an inscription: "To - Aunt Ida - With Love - Virginia". |
 |
| And this French edition of Hansel & Gretel came with an audio recording on CD. |
The book fair runs through this Sunday, and I've heard everything is half-price then to move it off the shelves. Too bad we have plans this Sunday, otherwise I'd probably go back. Until next year, Newberry ...
No comments:
Post a Comment