27 March 2012

fagioli e pomodori


This recipe for Tuscan-style Beans with Rosemary fell into my hands via my mom, who had clipped it out of The Plain Dealer and mailed it to me while I was in grad school.  I've been making this one pot wonder for about seven-going-on-eight years now.  The original recipe can be found here.  I've never actually made the original recipe, which calls for pancetta and fresh parsley.  I've always made it my way, which I've cleverly titled "beans and tomatoes," and which includes these simple ingredients:

Fagioli e pomodori

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion (I use whatever I have on hand - white or red)
2 teaspoons crushed garlic (or 4 cloves minced)
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cans diced tomatoes (14 oz. size)
2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (14 oz. size)

Directions: Roughly chop the onion.  Coat the bottom of a large pot with the olive oil and sautee the onion in it over medium high heat.  Add the garlic, stir to incorporate it with the onions, cover, and turn down the heat to medium low.  Allow to cook, covered, until the onions are soft and translucent.  Stir in the rosemary and salt.  Add in the tomatoes (including juice) and the drained beans.  Stir well and cover again.  Allow to cook on medium low for 30-45 minutes.  This is one of those dishes that's even better the next day, after the flavors have had time to meld.      

No comments: