30 July 2013

newberry library book fair tips



Last Thursday was one of the days I anticipate the most each summer.  It also happens to be the one my husband dreads the most.  It's the day I go to the Newberry Library and drag home as many used books as I can fit in my bag.  This year I brought home twenty-six items.  And now I have the task of finding places for them on our already-at-capacity bookshelves.  Before I tell you about what I found, let me tell you my tips for making the most of the Newberry's annual book fair.

1. Go early on the first day it's open to the public.  I arrived around 11:30 a.m. this year and the line was already wrapped around one side of the building.  If you pay $100 to be a member, you can attend the preview the night before.

2. Prioritize the sections.  I always head first for the Foreign Language section, then the children's books, then the movies and music.

3. Take your own bag(s).  I brought my heavy duty reusable bags.  I spotted people with empty backpacks, canvas bags, and even bags on wheels, including suitcases.

4. Don't forget your cash or credit card (they accept most types).

5. If you're unsure about an item, hold onto it until you're ready to check out.  The book fair is crowded and there's no guarantee anything you change your mind about will still be on the shelf when you go back.  There's a table near the check-out area where you can leave anything you don't want anymore.

Coming up next: my finds from this year's fair!


No comments: