02 January 2012

organized chaos - the sock drawer


One of my greatest fears materialized last month -- I wore navy blue socks with black pants to work.  I'm pretty sure no one noticed except for me, but it was then that I decided to do something about my sock drawer.  I have a lot of socks.  I have winter socks, summer socks, work-out socks, dressy trouser socks, socks without a mate, socks in colors most people don't need, etc.  They were all inhabiting the largest drawer of my nightstand (we don't use conventional dressers or chests of drawers in our house ... yet).  So with all these socks in one drawer, it was a little challenging to find a particular pair of socks on any given day. 

I'm forgetting the most crucial detail here: I get dressed in the dark.  I leave for work at 6:30 in the morning, and obviously, I'm not going to wake up my husband by turning the lights on so I can find the right color of socks.  I tried the tactic of carrying a handful of socks into the lighted bathroom so as to see their colors, but that was tedious.  I didn't always grab the color I wanted from the dark drawer so I had to make multiple trips, and then put the rest away after I found what I wanted.  I also tried setting out socks the night before, but that required planning out what I was going to wear the next day ... which doesn't happen very often.

The solution was to separate the socks by color.  I originally wanted drawer dividers, but I had these baskets at home already so it was easier to repurpose them.  For the time being, I have one basket containing black and grey socks, and another with navy blue and brown ones.  I keep the baskets in the shelving unit in our bedroom.  I know the one on the left has the black socks, so if I reach in there in the dark, I'm guaranteed black or grey socks.  Also, if I'm looking for a particular pair, I can just carry the baskets into the bathroom and see all my choices.


Here's to matching socks to pants in 2012. 

No comments: