22 December 2012

limoncello



Limoncello

2 pounds of organic lemons
1 liter of vodka (I used 80 proof Sobieski)
2 cups of organic cane sugar
3 cups of water

Directions: Wash the lemons.  Use a vegetable peeler to remove the peels (avoid shaving off the pith with the peel).  Place the peels in a glass jar and cover with vodka.  Keep in a cool, dark, dry place.  Allow the mixture to rest for 3-4 weeks (I started mine November 25th and finished it December 20th).  To finish the limoncello, remove the peels from the vodka.  Make a simple syrup by bringing the sugar and water to a boil.  Let it cool, then mix into the strained lemon vodka.  Store in airtight jars or corked bottles.  Salute!

The process:



Wash & peel the lemons.  Place the peels in a large jar.
Optional: I juiced the lemons after peeling them because I use lemon juice in a lot of recipes.  The lemon juice does NOT go into the limoncello!  Too sour.

Pour the vodka over the lemon peels and close tightly.  Store in a dark, cool place.

3+ weeks later: Strain the lemon vodka off the peels.

For this step, I used a mesh colander resting on top of a funnel on top of a pitcher.

Toss the lemon peels.

Prepare the simple syrup.  I used cane sugar so mine took on a caramel color (but normal simple syrup taste).

Wash and dry your bottles.  My mom found these glass flasks at a store in Cleveland.

After the simple syrup has cooled, mix it into the lemon vodka.  Stir well.  Use a funnel to pour  the limoncello into the bottles.

This recipe yielded 5 flasks and most of 1 wine bottle.

No comments: