19 May 2012

hazelnut honey & nutella

can you tell we like it?
 My husband has a coworker from Salerno, near Naples, Italy.  On a recent trip home, he brought back some honey for us.  More specifically, miele & nocciole (honey chockful of hazelnuts).  Amazing.  I've used this honey in homemade wheat bread (just the honey strained off the nuts), and it gave the bread a nice nutty flavor.  After seeing many recipes online for homemade Nutella, I decided to give some of it a whirl in the food processor.  Except I didn't have powdered milk or condensed milk or coconut oil or any of the other funky ingredients many of the recipes called for.  So this is a simplified version with stuff I had on hand.  And it's delizioso.

Nutella so thick, it doesn't budge when you turn the jar sideways for a good angle during the photo shoot.

Homemade Nutella:

1 cup hazelnuts (strained off honey)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 cup agave
1/4 cup soy milk
2 teaspoons vanilla

Grind nuts in a food processor until they turn to butter.  Add salt, cocoa, agave, and milk.  Process some more until a smooth consistency is achieved.  Store in a mason jar or other airtight container.  Not sure how long this will keep.  I hope by making it dairy-free, it will last at least a few weeks.

No comments: