05 April 2012

moses in the bulrush

Moses in the bulrush (right)

My paternal grandmother kept moses in the bulrush plants.  Sometime after her death, my dad gave me dried seeds from her plant and I took a ceramic pot from the garage to grow them in.  I held onto the ziploc bag of dried seeds, stashed inside the pot, for quite awhile.  Last spring, after some coaching from my dad, I set them in a pot with some soil and a little skepticism.  I hadn't grown anything from a seed since a science class in middle school.

My materials, April 21, 2011
Disclaimer: While what I'm about to write may all seem like common sense, I'm not really a gardener ... so this project was achieved through many phone calls with my dad.  The first call originated while shopping at Target so I could ask  him what kind of dirt to buy ...

Per my dad's suggestion, I soaked the dried seeds in water before planting them.  I ended up using a plastic container instead of the ceramic pot for water drainage purposes (no holes in the bottom of the ceramic one).  I filled the container with potting mix and placed the seeds on top, then covered them with a thin layer of soil.  I watered the container weekly and keep it on our balcony so it could get some good sunlight.  And low and behold, just two months later, I had this:  

Shoots!  June 30, 2011
Summer looks good on you.  September 14, 2011
Flowering. March 11, 2012
Maybe I did get a green thumb gene in me after all?  Wondering what to try to grow next ...
   

No comments: