20 July 2011

grown-up mac & cheese

Posted by Picasa

And speaking of mac & cheese, I dug up this recipe which is at the other end of the spectrum from "almost vegan mac & 'cheese'." This recipe was thrown together with items I had in the fridge that I wanted to use up (some fresh mushrooms, an open carton of chicken broth, a leftover baked sweet potato, and the last of a wedge of brie).  I liked it so much, I scribbled down the recipe and took a photo of it (a trick for reducing paper clutter).  I didn't write down the measurements, but it was most likely something like this:

1/2 cup orzo pasta
1 cup chicken broth
1-2 cups of water
1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms
1/4 cup roasted red pepper (or more to taste)
1 small *already baked* sweet potato (remove skin if you want)
2 oz. brie cheese (or more to taste)

Bring the chicken broth and water to a boil in a small pot.  Add the orzo and stir.  Add in the mushrooms and cook down until most of the water evaporates.  Cut the roasted red pepper into small pieces and add to the pot.  Cut the baked sweet potato into small chunks and add to the pot.  Stir in the cheese.  Once the cheese melts, you should have a creamy mixture resembling a risotto.  I don't think I added any spices but you might need salt and pepper to taste.  Delicious and easy!

No comments: