20 July 2011

almost vegan mac & "cheese"


Recipe courtesy of:
Fatfree Vegan Kitchen
Easy Macaroni and Cheeze

1 pound pasta (regular or gluten-free)     I used whole-wheat rotini.

Blend together:

1 1/4 cups water
1 cup plain, fat-free soymilk (may use other non-dairy milk)    I used skim milk.
3/4 cup nutritional yeast        I found this at Whole Foods in the bulk section.  It was inexpensive - $1.60 for a cup.

3 tablespoons cornstarch or potato starch     I used cornstarch.
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder      I used one minced clove of garlic.
1 teaspoon onion powder        I used a slice of a fresh yellow onion, diced.
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard        I used a teaspoon of Grey Poupon.

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika     I used regular paprika.
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
pinch cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons tahini
1 teaspoon mellow white miso (or additional salt)    I used salt.
black pepper to taste

Put the pasta on to boil according to package directions. While it's cooking, blend all remaining ingredients together in a blender. When the pasta is al dente, drain it, reserving about 1/2 cup of the cooking water, and return the pasta to pan. Add the sauce mixture and cook, stirring, until mixture boils and thickens. Add a little of the pasta water if more moistness is needed.



I titled this "almost vegan" because I used skim milk (the only soy we had was vanilla-flavored).  Mine got the molded shape as seen in the photo because I put the leftovers in a plastic container and that's what it looked like when I dumped it into a bowl to eat the next day.  Definitely looks like mac & cheese, but the taste is different.  Not different in a bad way -- just don't expect it to taste like the Kraft blue box stuff. 

No comments: