27 September 2011

sneaky pancakes



Long time, no post.  A lot has happened since my last post.  In chronological order: I lost my last living grandparent, dear Poppy.  I had a "pre-moon" in Europe.  I started a new job.  And this past weekend, I got married.  It's been quite the emotional ride.  But today, all I have time to share is sneaky pancakes.  I call these sneaky because of what's in them.  Sneaky pancakes were whipped up after a conversation with my then fiancĂ© that went like this:

(brunch time)
me: what do you want to eat?
him: want to try that new waffle place down the street?
me: no, i want to fit in my wedding dress.  how about oatmeal?
him: i don't like oatmeal.
me: not even peanut butter banana oatmeal with honey?
him: no.
me: how about pancakes? (sneaky ingredient ideas float into my head)
him: no, no, no, that's too much work.  i'll just have cereal.
me: no, i can make them quickly.  let me make pancakes.
him: oh-kay ...

Sneaky Pancakes - vegan and fiberfull.

1 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons agave nectar
1 cup soy milk
2 tablespoons of flaxmeal mixed separately with 6 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon oil (i used canola)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons applesauce
1 banana

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.  In a small bowl, combine the flaxmeal with the water and whisk together.  Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until incorporated.  Slice the banana into the batter and stir again (you can also drop the banana slices onto the pancakes as they cook in the skillet).  Grease a skillet with non-stick spray and place on the stove over medium-high heat.  Drop the batter onto the heated skillet (I like to use a measuring cup for less mess; try a 1/3 cup or 1/4 cup scoop depending on the size of pancakes you want).  Cook as normal, watching for bubbles to appear on the surface of the pancake before flipping.  I don't time it, I just watch them.  Feed to unsuspecting fiancĂ© and tell him afterward about the all the good stuff he just ingested.

No comments: