02 February 2011

birthday boy

birthday dinner in chinatown with friends

sushi-making class in river north

we picked up this slate sign at a market in aix-en-provence over the summer.  it's perfect for special messages.







Recipes: I found the red velvet cupcake recipe on Pinch My Salt.  Click here for the recipe!
I did not use the cream cheese frosting.  Instead, I used my Aunt Subee's "bakery icing."  Here is the recipe:



Bakery Icing
2# powdered sugar
1-1/3 – 1-1/2 cup Crisco (white)
½ cup water
1 teaspoon clear vanilla - I used dark vanilla and it was fine
I added ½-1cup whole milk for lighter texture
Mix with electric mixer until smooth.  Freeze leftover icing.

Also, my fiance's mom's birthday is five days before his, so I made her a strawberry cake.  Click here for the recipe!  I frosted it with the same bakery icing as used above.

No comments: